Directorate of Emergency Services
|JBLM Provost Marshal||Fire Division||Protection Division||Public Events Information|
Joint Base Lewis-McChord Vehicle/ Weapon Registration
DoD decals on privately owned vehicles have no expiration date. The decal is valid as long as it is legible. When registering a vehicle the Registrant will only be provided the DD Form 2220 (which is the blue and white rectangular sticker with the serial number). If you currently have a DD Form 2220 with expiration tabs, you can remove the expiration tabs. You can also remove the strip that identifies the installation. DO NOT remove the DD Form 2220. For additional information call (253) 967-1914.
Waller Hall (BLDG #2140) Liggett Ave and N. 10th St. Click here for map and directions
Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday, 0730-1630 hours.
Services: Weapon Registration
Soldier Out-processing (PMO)
Installation Access Cards
Phone: (253) 967-1914 Fax: (253) 966-6890
Mailing Address: Vehicle Registration (DES), Box 39500, MS 77, Joint Base Lewis-McChord, WA 98433
JBLM-Lewis Main Visitor Control Center. (Adjacent Liberty Gate – Exit 120)
Hours of Operation: Monday-Sunday 0500 to 2200 hours
Services: Temporary Visitor Passes
Phone: (253) 966-8140 or 967-4794
During those hours when the Lewis Main Visitor Center is closed motorists should proceed to Liberty Gate for processing.
JBLM-McChord Field Visitor Control Center. (Adjacent McChord Field Main Gate)
Hours of Operation: 0600 to 1930 daily.
Services: Temporary Visitor Passes
Phone: (253) 982-2119 or 982-2347 Fax: (253) 982-6691
During those hours when the McChord Field Visitor Center is closed motorists should proceed to the McChord Main Gate for processing.
JBLM-McChord Field Pass and Registration Section (Bldg 100, Room 1001E) 100 Col Joe Jackson Blvd
Hours of Operation: 0730 to 1600, Monday & Thursday (closed federal holidays)
Services: Weapon Registration
Restricted Area Badges
Airman Out-Processing (SFS)
Phone: (253) 982-1995 or 982- 2256 Fax: (253) 982-0829
Unit Commanders, First Sergeants and Senior Enlisted Managers may contact the Registration Supervisor at 966-3658 or the Chief Installation Access at 967-9283 to coordinate special issuance of Restricted Area Badges to meet mission requirements.
Personnel assigned to, or employed on, JBLM are required to register their privately owned vehicles with the Directorate of Emergency Vehicles. However, DoD decals are NOT required to be displayed on the vehicle for access to JBLM. Decals will be issued on request. When requesting a decal the Registrant will only be provided the DD Form 2220 (which is the blue and white rectangular sticker with the serial number). For additional information call (253) 967-1914.
The following documents are required:
þ Permanent State or U.S territory vehicle registration
· The name of the person applying for post registration decals must appear on the vehicle registration document OR applicant must provide a power of attorney OR notarized letter signed by the registered owner authorizing them to operate the vehicle and obtain DoD registration. Link to power of attorney
þ State or U.S territory driver's license
· Motorcycle registrants must have a motorcycle endorsement on their driver's license and provide a copy of a Department of the Army approved motorcycle safety course certificate.
· Motorcycle safety course registration link: https://apps.imcom.army.mil/airs
þ Insurance card for the vehicle being registered
þ Identification- Military personnel, civilian employees, family members, retirees, and contractors must show appropriate identification
þ Emission test certificate - All vehicles that are 5-25 years require Washington State emissions test certificate for registration. With the following exceptions:Vehicles registered within a WA emission control area that mandates emission testing as a requirement for WA State vehicle registration (determined by zip code on registration) Link to zip codes
· Military Retirees that don’t work or reside on Joint Base Lewis-McChord
· Hybrid vehicles with EPA city fuel economy rating of at least 50 MPG
· Motorcycles and Mopeds
· Diesel vehicles with a scale weight of 6,000 pounds or less. This information can be found under "Sclwt" on the state registration form.
Vehicles manufactured in 2009 or later are permanently exempted from the requirement to undergo an emission test.
Ø Directions to Lakewood Emissions Test Facility
Ø Washington emission test information: Link to WA emission pamphlet
Ø Vehicle registration decals are accountable items and must be returned to Vehicle Registration when replacing the windshield, selling the vehicle, leaving military service, or affiliation with the military is terminated.
Ø Decal must be permanently attached to the exterior of the windshield located either at the top center or driver’s side of the windshield. Decal must be readily visible and cannot obstruct driver’s view. Link to format/placement instructions
Washington State websites:
Ø Washington Department of Licensing: http://www.dol.wa.gov/
Ø Washington emission testing: http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/air/cars/automotive_pages.htm
Ø Washington emission test record: http://www.emissiontestwa.com/TestRecordSearch.aspx
Weapon registration is mandatory for all persons residing on Joint Base Lewis-McChord regardless of branch affiliation. All privately owned weapons being brought onto Joint Base Lewis-McChord property are also required to be registered.
þ Complete HJB Form 816 (weapon registration).
· HJB 816 must be printed legibly.
· Military personnel registering weapons require Commander’s signature on the HJB 816.
þ Weapon registration takes approximately 3-5 duty days and will be mailed to the address on the HJB 816.
Installation Access Cards
The DES issues Installation Access Cards to limited categories of non-affiliated civilians who require routine, recurring access to Joint Base Lewis-McChord. The IAC will authorize the recipient to also register their vehicle and receive DoD Decals. Persons authorized an Installation Access Cards are required to complete an application form and undergo security screening at the Visitor Center located at Exit 120 off of I-5. Visitor Center staff will stamp the application form and return that to you for you to submit to the Registration Office in Waller Hall.
þ Applicants for either an Agent or Family Care Provider Installation Access Card can print the application located here. The reverse side of the form lists the documents that are required to be presented at Waller Hall
þ Installation Volunteers are authorized an Installation Access Card. You must be registered with the Installation Volunteer Coordinator's Office. The manager of the organization that you are volunteering for must complete and sign their portion of the application form. The reverse of the form lists the documents that are required to be presented at Waller Hall. Link to Volunteer ID Card Form
þ Family members of DoD Civilian and NAF employees, both active and retired, are authorized to receive an Installation Access Card. The sponsor must be present when the card is issued. The reverse side of the form lists the documents that are required to be presented at Waller Hall. DoD Civilian and NAF Family Member Installation Access Card
þ A limited number of Contractors are authorized an Installation Access Card. For those who are, the application can be obtained through your employer.
þ All persons leaving military service, except due to retirement, must return their vehicle registration decals for all registered vehicles, including their Dependents.
þ Individuals that have been listed as a “Subject” on the Joint Base Lewis-McChord Police Blotter will also need to clear Police Services following Vehicle Registration.
þ Complete bicycle registration card: Link to bicycle registration
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. When is the best time to go to vehicle registration? The longest customer wait times are generally on Monday, during lunch, and the last and first few days of each month. Outside of these time frames, customer wait times are generally less than 15 minutes.
2. I only come to Joint Base Lewis-McChord during the evening/ weekends, how do I register a vehicle? Vehicle registration is conducted at either JBLM Visitor Center at all times while the facility is open. Both facilities are open 7 days a week. The hours for the JBLM-Lewis Main Visitor Center are 0500-2200 and the JBLM-McChord Field Visitor Center is open from 0600 to 1930 daily.
3. Why do I need to have an emission test to register a vehicle on Joint Base Lewis-McChord even if I don’t register my vehicle in an area where emission testing is required? The Federal Clean Air Act requires Joint Base Lewis-McChord to comply with Washington State environmental regulations. Joint Base Lewis-McChord is located in Pierce County which is an area that requires emissions testing, thus the requirement extends to all persons who live or work on the Joint Base. There are some exceptions which are listed under vehicle registration requirements above.
4. How do I get on post if I’ve not yet received a permanent registration? If you have a temporary license plate, that permit along with your authorized DoD ID will be accepted at the gate.
Complaints, Comments, or Recommendations
Please let us know how Joint Base Lewis-McChord Vehicle / Weapon Registration is serving you by visiting ICE (Interactive Customer Evaluation): http://ice.disa.mil/index.cfm?fa=card&site_id=348&service_provider_id=101875
"The appearance of hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the Department of Defense, the U.S. Air Force, and the U.S. Army of this Web site or the information, products or services contained therein. For other than authorized activities such as military exchanges and Morale, Welfare and Recreation sites, the Department of Defense, the U.S. Air Force, and the U.S. Army does not exercise any editorial control over the information you may find at these locations. Such links are provided consistent with the stated purpose of this DoD Web site."
Last updated on: 07 September 2016 15:24U