Public Events Information
Effective 2 August the Lewis Visitor Center at Exit 120 will temporarily close and move to a new location. This is due to construction at Liberty Gate.
The new location will be near the Army Museum. There will be signs on I-5 directing motorists to the new location.
Take Exit 119 off of I-5 and get onto Dupont-Steilacoom Road. Travel approximately 3/10 of a mile and turn right onto Pendleton Avenue.
Hours of operation for the temporary Visitor Center will be: 0500-2200 / 7 days a week.
Once a pass is issued, customers will have to exit the installation and then reenter at an operational Access Control Point. Visitor Center staff can provide directions upon request.
The McChord Visitor Center at Exit 125 is also available and will maintain normal hours of operation.
The Lewis Visitor Center will resume normal operations at Exit 120 no later than 1 Oct 2018.
1. Joint Base Lewis-McChord (JBLM) is a controlled access installation
2. The Visitor Center for JBLM - Lewis Main and Lewis North is located at Exit 120 off of I-5 near Liberty Gate. The hours are 0500 – 2200 daily. In addition to providing passes for non-affiliated visitors to JBLM, we also conduct Automated Installation Entry Registration, Weapons Registration, and Vehicle Registration at this location from 0500 - 2200 daily. During the hours that this Visitor Center is closed motorists should proceed to Liberty Gate for processing.
3. The Visitor Center for JBLM – McChord Field is located at Exit 125 off of I-5 near the main gate of McChord Field. The hours are 0600 – 1930 daily. In addition to providing passes for non-affiliated visitors to JBLM, we also conduct Automated Installation Entry Registration, Weapons Registration, and Vehicle Registration at this location from 0600 - 1930 daily. During the hours that this Visitor Center is closed motorists should proceed to the McChord Field Main Gate.
4. Authorized ID Cardholders include:
personnel and their family members
5. Vehicles entering Joint Base
Lewis-McChord are required to have either an adult Authorized ID Cardholder
in the vehicle or an authorized Visitor Pass. To obtain the pass, the vehicle
operator must process at a Visitor Center and present the following:
6. Residents expecting guests who will be
visiting and require a pass valid for more than 1 day, are now authorized to
call the Visitor Center 72 hours in advance and place a request for the
visitor to be issued an extended pass. The request should not exceed the
required dates needed. Passes may only be issued for a maximum of 90 days.
7. ALL vehicle occupants, aged 16 or older, are required to present photo ID for entry to Joint Base Lewis-McChord.
8. For questions on Access Control you may contact the Lewis Main Visitor Center at 967-4794, or the McChord Field Visitor Center at 982-2588.
9. All vehicles entering Joint Base Lewis-McChord are subject to inspection at any time. These inspections are conducted as an installation force protection measure. Refusal to submit to the inspection will result in a denial of access to the installation.
10. Authorized ID Cardholders (Military and DoD Civilian employees) who have access to the Local Area Network and are able to digitally sign their email are authorized to sponsor guests via email. Sponsors can send the full name of the guest, date of arrival, and the length of stay. Passes can be issued as valid for up to 90 days. Sponsors should identify whether the guest will process at the Lewis or McChord Field Visitor Center. Sponsors will receive a confirmation email once the request has been processed. Guests should identify to Visitor Center Staff that they have been email sponsored. The address for the digitally signed email is: firstname.lastname@example.org
11. Contractors and Vendors. Effective 20 Jan 2015, all Contractors and Vendors requesting a pass for access to JBLM will be required to present a ‘Installation Contractor / Vendor Pass Request Form’ when processing at a Visitor Center. The form is required to be completely filled out when presented at the Visitor Center. There is a portion on the form for the Employee (Applicant), the Employer, and the Government Agent that has oversight of the contract/project that the employee/ vendor is working under. Your employer should have a copy of the form they can provide you. If not, click on the below link for a copy of the form. Click here for the Contractor and Vendor Pass Request Form
12. Foreign Visitors must show current passport showing valid entry stamp prior to receiving a temporary pass. Foreign Visitors can only receive a temporary pass up to 30 days at a time.
13. REAL ID ACT. On 10 OCT 2018 JBLM will begin fully enforcing the provisions of the Real ID Act of 2005. Under provisions of this act, driver’s license or ID cards from certain states and territories are not valid for unescorted access to JBLM. Click on the following link for the Department of Homeland Security website to determine the status of each state and territory: Current Status of States/Territories | Homeland Security Persons requesting unescorted access to JBLM and who present a standard license or ID from one of those states will be required to present additional documentation to verify their identity prior to being allowed access to JBLM. Click here for a list of acceptable documents to present along with a standard DL or ID Card issued by one of those states.
14. AREA ACCESS PROCEDURES. There are procedures in place to allow personnel to use certain training areas on JBLM for recreational purposes. Use of those areas is prohibited unless specifically authorized by the Training Division of DPTMS.
Click on this link for Area Access Procedures: DPTMS - Training Division
"The appearance of hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the Department of Defense, the U.S. Air Force, and the U.S. Army of this Web site or the information, products or services contained therein. For other than authorized activities such as military exchanges and Morale, Welfare and Recreation sites, the Department of Defense, the U.S. Air Force, and the U.S. Army does not exercise any editorial control over the information you may find at these locations. Such links are provided consistent with the stated purpose of this DoD Web site."
Last updated on: 20 March 2017 08:52U