Housing Services Office (HSO)

Arriving Personnel

Supporting Service Members and their Families with Off-Base Housing Relocation at Joint Base Lewis-McChord

  • Army Personnel: All newly assigned Army personnel in the grade of O5 and below are required to attend a mandatory housing in-processing brief. The briefings are held every weekday from 0930-1000 in Bldg 2140, Liggett Ave, Waller Hall, Room 202. The briefing provides information about renting in the local community and how to apply for on-base housing. We encourage you to attend the brief upon your arrival to the JBLM area.
  • Air Force Personnel: All newly assigned Air Force personnel are encouraged to check in with the HSO located at 5128 Pendleton Ave, Lewis Main to be briefed on information about renting in the local community and how to apply for privatized on-base family housing. As a reminder, your PCS orders include instructions IAW AFI 32-6001 which require you to report to the HSO before entering any rental, lease, or purchase agreement for off-base housing.
  • Permissive TDY (PTDY): Service Members claiming Permissive Temporary Duty (PTDY) for purposes of house hunting are normally required to report to the HSO with a copy of their DA-31 the day their PTDY begins to have their PTDY validated. However, effective 1 December 2016 thru 31 August 2017, the Joint Base Lewis-McChord HSO is participating in a pilot program which relinquishes the HSO of this responsibility. In accordance, Soldiers will not have to visit the HSO to have their leave form stamped. After signing into the installation and during in-processing, the Soldier will simply turn in their DA-31 to Finance at Waller Hall. All personnel are highly encouraged to attend the housing in-processing brief prior to making any housing arrangements. The brief which covers both on-base and off-base housing options, is held Monday through Friday at 0930-1000 hours at Bldg 2140, Liggett Ave, Waller Hall, Room 202. (Note: The DA-31 must state PTDY, must not go past a Soldier’s report date and must be signed by a O5 or above.)
  • Lease Signing (Army and Air Force Personnel): For your protection, we advise that you do not sign a lease until you physically arrive in the JBLM area. If you sign a lease before you arrive and your military orders are delayed or deleted, you may still be legally liable for the rent. Additionally, it is never advisable to sign a lease for a property you have not seen.
HSO Services

In-processing briefs are held daily Monday-Friday (excluding federal holidays) from 0930-1000 hours at Bldg 2140, Liggett Ave, Waller Hall, Room 202.

  • During the briefing you will be provided with information about renting in the local community and how to apply for on-base family housing (orders to JBLM are required).
About HSO Services

Here is what we do for you at the HSO:

  • Counsel personnel authorized to draw Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) before they enter into any lease, rental or purchase agreement.
  • Educate personnel on their rights under the Service Members Civil Relief Action (SCRA).
  • Provide area maps, rental listings, sale listings, telephone bank, and computer workstations to assist in the search for housing.
  • Manage the Rental Partnership Program (RPP).
  • Review leases.
  • Teach home buying and selling training workshops.
  • Mediate tenant/landlord disputes.

Area landlords can contact the HSO rental section at
usarmy.jblm.imcom.list.dpw-rcd-hso@mail.mil to list their properties.

Top 10 Things to Know About Renting in Washington:

  • RESEARCH your landlord, and READ every line of your lease.
  • Do a thorough inspection when you move in, take photos, and document everything in WRITING.
  • If something breaks and it is not your fault, notify your landlord in WRITING.
  • If you are under the term of a lease, your landlord may not make any changes to the terms of the lease unless you agree in writing. For a month-to-month tenancy, a landlord can make changes with 30 days notice.
  • Your landlord cannot enter your property without 48 hours notice (24 hours notice if showing it to new tenants) except in very limited situations.
  • Terminate your lease in WRITING delivered by certified mail, returned receipt requested, or hand delivery. If terminating under the SCRA, include a copy of your orders or a memorandum from your commanding officer verifying your current or future military status.
  • When it is time to move out, do a walk-thru, take photos, and document everything in WRITING.
  • Your landlord has 21 days after your lease ends to refund your security deposit and/or send a written explanation as to why the landlord is keeping any of it.
  • You will be responsible for any damage you cause - even if it exceeds the security deposit.
  • If you have a dispute with your landlord about damages and the security deposit, you may be able to file an action in small claims court.
Departing Personnel

  • If you are on orders for permanent change of station, deployment or in support of a military operation for 90 days or longer and will be relocating from your current rental home or the installation, please review the attached slide deck which provides useful housing information to prepare you for your move. For questions about your specific situation, please visit HSO during business hours to meet with a counselor one-on-one and bring a copy of your lease.
  • HSO Deployment

  • JBLM HSO Levy Brief

HSO POC & Location

As you prepare for your transition to Joint Base Lewis-McChord, if housing questions or concerns arise, please contact the HSO:

Lewis Main Office:


Local Media

Local Newspapers...


PW Sharepoint